What is the 350VT Building Ground Climate Justice Leader Training?
We will spend a full weekend learning, deepening, and building the skills necessary to undertake powerful climate justice work within our communities. The Building Ground training specifically focuses on sharing fundamental frameworks about climate justice and building the relationships that empower effective leaders.
- Explore the complex definitions of climate justice and the myriad approaches that individuals and groups undertake to achieve this goal,
- Deepen your own understanding of racial justice and its fundamental connection to the climate crisis,
- Learn in detail about 350’s specific approach to changemaking and organizing,
- Begin to articulate your own leadership and changemaking approaches and identify personal goals and next steps for your return home,
- Learn specific strategies to support your work (frameworks, facilitation techniques, and core organizing skills),
- Connect with other emerging leaders from around the state and region and build a community of courage and creativity.
These times demand that we build powerful and loving social movements that are strong enough to confront and overcome the systems which have created the climate crisis. With the impending urgency of this climate crisis and the lack of leadership in our federal government, and at a time when various movements for justice around the world are uniting to work together, this is the moment for each of us to step more fully into our own leadership and power.
This requires taking the time to build our own ground as citizens, leaders, and organizers. This ground – our collective knowledge, skills, joy, grief, and courage – is where the strength in the climate movement lies. It is a deeply intersectional ground where our individual lived experiences connect with our visions for the future and with the visions and experiences of other people and justice movements around the world. Generating this rich soil for our movement is necessary if we are going to confront this crisis with the boldness, creativity, resilience, and love that we need.
First, the basics: If you’re wondering if you’re “qualified enough” to be a part of something this… you are. If you’re wondering if you “know enough” to be a part of something this… you do. If you’re wondering if you’re “good enough” to be a part of something like this… take a deep breath and know that we need you. Here is a list of some reasons that you might consider attending…
- You are excited to learn and deepen your knowledge of climate justice and the climate movement
- You want to be a part of a community of inspiring people who are ready to stand up and confront the reality of the climate crisis
- You have bold ideas and questions and you want to learn how to put them into action
- You want to grow your own skills and abilities and be part of a community of practice that is learning together
- You know this moment in time requires tremendous leadership and you want to find your own way to contribute
- You feel moved by this invitation in some way that you can’t quite describe, and just feel like you want to be there!
Building Ground will begin at 4pm on April 7th at the beautiful Common Ground Center in Starksboro, Vermont and will conclude at 4pm on Sunday April 9th. It is important to understand that attendance for the entire weekend is required to participate. (If you have questions about this, or want to attend but feel like you will not be able to be present for the entire time, please contact Jen Lazar at email@example.com.)
Cost of the program ranges from $50-$175 depending on what you feel you are able to contribute. This amount covers the cost of food, lodging, and facilitation for the weekend. On the registration form there is more detail about how to determine the amount of contribution you are able to make. **Please note if this presents a financial hardship for you there is sponsorship available and no one will be turned away based on financial need. We want you there and we will work with you to make that possible!
If not now, then…
If you can’t make these dates, or need something that is closer to where you live, don’t worry! We will be hosting multiple of these programs this year. Check back here for updated plans and other upcoming trainings and workshops.